Where is your collection located?
The general materials are integrated into the East (Japanese language) and Asia (English & other western languages) Collections of Hamilton Library on the 3rd and 4th floors. Hamilton Library's floor plans are available here.
Please use the Hawaii Voyager Online Catalog to identify the resources you need.
I heard about your special collections. What are they? How can I access?
The Japan Collection holds the following special collections housed in the Asia Special Collections room. All the items are not circulating. The Japan Collection staff retrieves materials prior to your visit. Please read the access policy to make an appointment in advance.
- Hawaii Japanese Language School Textbooks Collection
Libguides Site ハワイ日本語学校教科書コレクション. Over 600 Japanese language school textbooks used in Hawaii
- John Roberts Clippings Clippings on a wide range of political and economic topics concerning Japan developed by a journalist
- Kaizawa Kabuki Manuscripts
English translations of famous Kabuki plays during the Allied Occupation period. As part of the US censorship on Japanese publishing and perfoming arts, all the Kakubi play manuscripts were translated into English for the censorship. Mr. Stanley Kaizawa, a Japanese American Nisei from Hawaii was a team member of the censorhip and translated from Japanese to English. All the manuscripts were digitized.
- Kajiyama Collection 梶山文庫 Over 7,000 materials collected by the late novelist Toshiyuki Kajiyama 梶山季之
- Oral History of Japanese Studies Scholars 1960s to 1980s
Interview DVDs of Japanese studies scholars conducted by Dr. George Akita, Professor Emeritus of the UHM History Department.
- Satsuma Collection 薩摩コレクション Nealy 800 photo copies and late Professor of Kagoshima University, Haraguchi Torao's 原口虎雄 (1914-1986) manuscrips of primary source materials on Satsuma/Shimazu domain. Prof. Haragushi's collections so called "Dokosanbo (童虎山房)" were donated to the Amami Museum in 2006.
- Takazawa Collection 高沢文庫 Over 50,000 books and archival materials on Japan's social movement collection by Koji Takazawa
When are you open?
General collection is open during the Library hours. Special collections are open by appointment.