How to Get Mendeley
There are a couple different ways for you to access and use Mendeley. The following links will lead you to each where you can decide which works best for you.
Download Mendeley Desktop: this is the actual program that allows you to organize PDFs and sync to your online account. It is compatible with Windows (XP, Vista, or 7), Mac (OS X 10.5+) and Linux.
Mendeley Online: from here you can sign into your account, import citations straight from databases, access your libraries from anywhere, and sync to your Mendeley Desktop.
Web Importer: add this to your bookmark toolbar and you can import citations directly from databases and websites to your Mendeley library. This page also lists the companies that are compatible with the importer.
What is Mendeley?
What is Mendeley?
Mendeley is a free reference manager that allows you to organize references, create citations, and bibliographies. It is also a PDF viewer which allows you highlight, annotate, and organize research papers all in one place. Mendeley has a social network feature in which you can create groups and collaborate and share with colleagues.
Welcome to UH at Mānoa Library's Mendeley Guide
The tabs along the top will guide you through using Mendeley
- This page, Home, tells you about Mendeley and what it has to offer as well as how to download it
- Getting Started shows how to use Mendeley from creating a library to managing references
- Mendeley & Word explains how to create citations and bibliographies in Word using Mendeley
- Advanced Topics and Hints & Tips gives more in depth information on using Mendeley including settings and groups
- More Mendeley Help gives links to more help for using Mendeley
- Mendeley Workshops is a calendar of upcoming Mendeley workshops. Be sure to register for one to attend the free training sessions.
Where to get Mendeley
You can download Mendeley through the company's website, Mendeley Download. The free version gives you 1GB of space, half for personal space, the other half for shared space (this is explained further in Advanced Topics).
Why should I use Mendeley?
Whether you're a student, researcher or professor, Mendeley is an extremely valuable tool when doing research and composing papers. The program stores your references, figures, and PDFs all in one place on your computer, which makes retrieving these items easy. Mendeley also works with Microsoft Word and Open Office to insert in-text citations and compose bibliographies with just a few mouse clicks. The social network feature lets you interact with colleagues on research as well as see what other people in your field worldwide find interesting.