Getting an Idea of the Scope of a Country's Tourism Industry
The South Pacific Tourism Organisation is an intergovernmental organisation based in Suva, Fiji. Its tourism resources section offers data and statistics about the tourism industry in the region. You can also link to country-based web pages from the main site.
The University of the South Pacific's School of Tourism and Hospitality offers links to various resources; select Useful Links from the left column.
The Secretariat of the Pacific Community's PRISM site offers a rich complement of statistics and reports on Pacific Island nations. Its Regional Data offers limited data on tourism, but is an excellent site to help provide context for for your paper.
The Far East and Australasia lists all the nations and gives tourism statistics for each. (It's not available online, so come to the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections' reading room and you can find it on the Pacific Collection's reference shelves. There are also copies on the main Hamilton (1st floor) and Asia Collection (4th floor) reference shelves.
Selected links to Pacific Tourism websites. These links have been selected by Pacific Collection libararians, and include official government tourism offices as well as some quasi-government tourism agencies.
Finding Publications in the Library
Search the catalog Hawaiʻi Voyager to find books and periodicals on your subject.
Use the Advanced Search tab, and in the far right dropdown menu select Subject. This will set the search to only look through the subject headings. Try these searches out. Replace [country name] with the name of your country, and don't include the [brackets]. For additional searching tips, click on the "Research Strategies" tab above.
These searches will retrieve book titles on tourism and travel.
- [country name] description and travel
- tourism [country name]
- [country name] guidebooks
These searches will retrieve titles of magazines and periodicals (brochures, annual reports and etc.) on tourism.
- [country name] description and travel periodicals
- tourism [country name] periodicals
You can also search for materials published by a country's tourism board:
- To find the name of a country's board, find your country from one of the sites listed at left (e.g. the Pacific Collection's Internet Resources list on Tourism) and go through the website to find the official name of the board.
- Use that name to do a search in Hawaiʻi Voyager. Use the Advanced Search tab and in the far right dropdown menu select Author.