When the Gregg M. Sinclair Library opened its doors in 1956, it was one of the largest open-stack university libraries in the United States. The library, designed by Lemmon, Freeth & Haines, which has since evolved into the present Architects Hawaii, was dedicated to former university president Gregg M. Sinclair (1942-1955) on May 4, 1956.
Today the Library is a popular destination for UH students, faculty, and staff because they can find more than 100,000 books, magazines, sheet music, videos, CDs, DVDs, audiocassettes, phonodiscs, and other media. There is wireless access on every floor.
Ample and varied study space is available throughout the building, there are lobby and lanai areas, as well as individual study carrels and tables.
Sinclair Library just got greener! Over this past summer, Hoku Solar installed solar panels on the roof of the Commons in an effort to provide UH Mānoa with a renewable source of energy. On September 1, 2011 there was a dedication ceremony for the new solar panels in Sinclair Library. Governor Neil Abercrombie and UH Mānoa Chancellor Hinshaw were among those attending the ceremony.