Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
From UN Ocean Initiative
- United Nations Ocean Initiative
How this Guide is Organized
This guide is organized by material, or search means, as follows and can reached by clicking subject tabs in this guide. Alternatively, click on one of the titles below:
United Nations General
- Provides general links to information on the United Nations, its structure and its organization
UN Convention of Law of the Sea
- This section provides links to United Nations as it relates to the Convention of the Law of the Sea. Included are the basic texts, historical records, organizations that relate to the Convention, and legal cases.
International Maritime Organzation (IMO)
- This section provides links to the IMO, its history, structure and related support organizations, such as World Maritime University .
- These are databases useful for finding information that relates to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and the IMO. Some are specific to the UN, others are more general.
- This section provides a list of periodicals and journals that have specialist articles about the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, the IMO, and related issues
- A short bibliographic guide for books on the law of the sea and on shipping, providing basic background and biographical information
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Glossary of Terms
- Several general references are added for maritime and oceanic law. Also is a list of specialist terms that may be useful in searches or readings.