Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Hawaiʻi Census Data and Reports, 1872
Hawaiʻi Census, 1872 - Data
Hawaiʻi Census, 1872 - Reports
- Hawaii. Dept. of Public Instruction. Hoike no Elua Makahiki a ka Peresidena o ka Papa Hoonaauao. Honolulu: Dept. of Public Instruction, 1853-1896.
- UHM Call Numbers: L777 .B2 and Microfilm S50631. Kingdom-era census reports were issued within this biennial report. For locations of specific census reports, see Schmitt, Robert C. Demographic Statistics of Hawaii, 1778-1965. Honolulu: UH Press, 1968, p. 258-261.
- Hawaii. Dept. of Public Instruction. Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- UHM Call Numbers: Microfilm S50631. Kingdom-era census reports were issued within this biennial report. Paper copies are in fragile condition, so microfilm must be used. For locations of specific census reports, see Schmitt, Robert C. Demographic Statistics of Hawaii, 1778-1965. Honolulu: UH Press, 1968, p. 258-261.
What Am I Looking At?
Generally, after censuses are conducted, information gathered falls in two groups:
- the data sets - the raw data, originally captured in forms such as enumeration sheets
- the reports which interpret and analyze these data sets
The lists on this page provide links to a selection of reports, and data sets and/or enumeration sheets for Hawaiʻi censuses.
Enumeration sheets are the forms used by census enumerators to gather information from people. Information may include the following: the person's name, place of residence, sex, age, occupation, educational level, language spoken, country of origin.
For privacy reasons, the U.S. Census Bureau does not release enumeration sheets until 72 years after the census has been conducted. The most recent enumeration sheets available for Hawaiʻi are from the 1940 decennial census, released in 2012. Enumeration sheets from the 1950 decennial census are scheduled to be released n 2022.