Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finding films with Voyager
- If you want to browse films about a specific island or region, in "Basic" mode, do a "keyword anywhere" search using the place name (Samoa, Melanesia, etc.) and select "Videorecording/DVD" in from the search limits menu.
- Look at the holdings information at the bottom of the cataloging record. Many of the results will be available at the Wong A/V Center in Sinclair Library. If the video is available electronically, it will be linked in the holdings information. Click on the long URL after "Web Site/Electronic Resource"
Other places to find Pacific online videos
- **Films on Demand Films on Demand provides streaming access to educational videos in the humanities, social and natural sciences, business and health. Look for Pacific-related documentaries here, including Made in Taiwan (pictured at right).
- Moving Images of the Pacific Islands This database of films includes listings for more than 3,600 Pacific-related films. Find film titles here, and then search for them within the Voyager catalog to get the actual film from the library. The majority of the films listed here should be available at Wong Audio/Visual Center. Note: database has not been updated since 2011 (a new version is in the works).
- Micronesian Seminar Videos Micronesian Seminar has over 60 free videos available for downloading. Subjects range from the history of the islands to current social issues and health care.
- PREL Videos produces by the Pacific Resources for Education and Learning and are mostly relevant to Micronesia and education.
- NZ On screen Explore an excellent collection of documentaries, TV shows, and feature films from New Zealand.
- **Asia Pacific Films AsiaPacificFilms.com streams culturally and historically significant films from Asia and the Pacific. Titles include: The Land Has Eyes.
- **Sinclair Library Streaming Videos This page has information on how to search specifically for videos in the Wong Audio/Visual Center that have been digitized and are available for viewing online. Searching for films is freely available, but you will need a UH Mānoa log in to view the films themselves.
For more information, please visit the Sinclair Library webpage about videos
**Links marked with two asterisks require UHM log-in. All other sites are freely available.
Pacific Way - video series by the South Pacific Commission / Pacific Community
The Pacific Way is a film series produced by the Pacific Community (SPC, formerly the South Pacific Commission) starting in 1996. These episodes aired on TV stations throughout Oceania. Early episodes included segments such as music videos, host chit-chat, and letters from viewers, which was discontinued in later episodes. As the SPC is a regional intergovernmental technical support agency, many of the videos are about development projects in the region.
Draft Pacific Way Index (PDF version)
This draft index describes the segments within the Pacific Way episodes from 1996-current. It is not comprehensive, as not all episodes were available for reformatting. The links are mostly to the digitized versions of the videos hosted by the University of Hawaii, but a few link to the SPC YouTube version. Titles and descriptions are based on available metadata and selective viewing. Many of the episodes have multiple segments, so you may need to search for a particular segment within an episode. Start times of individual segments within each episode have been provided.
The Pacific way. by
Call Number: AV Center DVD 14502
Publication Date: 2006-2014
physical copies of the Pacific Way new series (2006-2014)