Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Japan Collection travel grant is made possible by anonymous donors and matching funds from the UHM Center for Japanese Studies. The UHM Library will award a grant on a competitive basis to defray travel expenses for faculty and graduate-level students of Japanese studies/East Asia studies at U.S. institutions outside of Hawaii, who will use materials onsite at the UHM Library’s Japan Collection https://guides.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/japan/index
After travel is completed, a grant recipient will be reimbursed for authorized travel expenses in accordance with UHM University travel policies, not to exceed the maximum amount of the grant.
Travel Grant Details
- Faculty and post-baccalaureate students of Japanese or East Asia studies at accredited educational institutions in U.S. States.
- Grantee will use resources onsite at the UHM Library’s Japan Collection.
- Travel must be completed and receipts submitted for reimbursement between July 1st and May 31st of each fiscal year.
- U.S. citizen or green card holder, who is affiliated with an accredited educational institution in the U.S.
- Travel must be a round trip for a point in the U.S.
Up to $1,000 per trip
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
Please click the link on the right and fill out and submit:
- A brief statement (not to exceed 250 words) describing your research and your need to use the UHM Japan Collection
- A list of resources you wish to access (Note: Prior to submitting application, check availability of the resources in the Library's online catalog, or, by contacting the Japan Studies Librarian)
- A current curriculum vitae
- A travel estimate that includes transportation and daily lodging, meals and incidental expenses
- Graduate students must ask a faculty advisor to write them a letter of recommendation. We will not consider an application complete until we receive the recommendation.
- Proposed start and end dates for travel
For questions regarding eligibility or travel restrictions, please contact Tokiko Bazzell, Japan Studies Librarian, Asia Collection Department. Phone: 808-956-2315
Travel Grant Application (FY 20-21 to be announced later)
Application form for the UHM Japan Collection Travel Grant.