Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This Library Guide has been developed to support your research on Japan at the UHM Library. Sources with "UHM Only" notation means that you need to log in the UHM Library system with your valid UHM username and password to use the sources. Hope you will find the information of a wide range of resources on Japan helpful.
Hawaii: 150 years Exhibit
The National Museum of Japanese History (Rekihaku) curated the exhibit "Hawaii: 150 years of Japanese migrations and histories of Dream Islands" from Oct. 29-Dec. 26, 2019.
Empire Studies Initiative Project Events
Series of events related to the UHM Empire Studies Initiative Project were held between August 20-22, 2019.
International Symposium: Post-WWII Occupation of Japan: The Censors and U.S. Censorship Policies
UHM Library International Public Symposium on Post-WWII Occupation of Japan and the Kaizawa Collection held on October 6, 2018
Japanese-American Diaspora two-day Seminars on September 4 & 6, 2018
NIJL Seminar on pre-modern Japanese books
NIJL Seminar 2018 国文研セミナー held on March 1, 2018
NIJL Seminar on pre-modern Japanese prints
Workshop on Japanese Old and Rare Books held on February 17, 2017
Public Lecture: The Plot of The Tale of Genji and the Emperor System 源氏物語のストーリーと天皇制
Public lecture by Dr. Yuichiro Imanishi, Director-General of the NIJL on February 16, 2017
Public Lecture & Seminar: Japanese Prints and Books
Public lecture & seminars by Prof. Takahiro Sasaki on Japanese Prints and Books held February 22-24, 2016
International Symposium: Interpreting Parades and Processions of Edo Japan
The Joint Symposium Interpreting Parades and Processions of Edo Japan was held on Feb. 11, 2013
Where is your collection located?
The general materials are integrated into the East (Japanese language) and Asia (English & other western languages) Collections of Hamilton Library on the 3rd and 4th floors. Hamilton Library's floor plans.
Please use the OneSearch Manoa Discovery Tool to identify the resources you need.
I heard about your special collections. What are they? How can I access?
The Japan Collection holds the following special collections housed in the Asia Special Collections room. All the items are not circulating. The Japan Collection staff retrieves materials prior to your visit. Please read the access policy to make an appointment in advance.
- Emery D. Middleton Collection over 600 of his black & white photos, along with several historical postcards and documents he collected. The digital images are mainly photos and postcards taken during his service as an officer in the Allied Occupation of Japan from 1945 to 1947.
- Hawaii Japanese Language School Textbooks Collection
Libguides Site ハワイ日本語学校教科書コレクション. Over 600 Japanese language school textbooks used in Hawaii
- John Roberts Clippings Clippings on a wide range of political and economic topics concerning Japan developed by a journalist
- Kaizawa Kabuki Manuscripts
See also Kaizawa Collection LibGuide
(1) English translations of famous Kabuki plays during the Allied Occupation period. As part of the US censorship on Japanese publishing and performing arts, all Kakubi play manuscripts were translated into English for censorship.
(2) Interview transcripts between Stanley Kaizawa and Dr. James Brandon, UHM Theatre & Dance, conducted 2000-2003 for Dr. Brandon's Kabuki Censorship Research.
Mr. Stanley Kaizawa, a Japanese American Nisei from Hawaii, was a member of the censorship team and worked as a censor from 1945-1949 at GHQ Tokyo, Japan.
- Kaizawa Collection Photos & Memorabilia
See also Kaizawa Collection LibGuide
Digitized photos with descriptions and memorabilia such as documents, military currencies, Kabuki tickets, etc. are now at the Kahulalike Digital Commons site.
- Kajiyama Collection 梶山文庫 Over 7,000 materials collected by the late novelist Toshiyuki Kajiyama 梶山季之
- Oliver Statler Collection オリバー・スタットラーコレクション
Location changed to the UHM Archives & Manuscripts Department. Oliver Statler's archival materials
- Oral History of Japanese Studies Scholars 1960s to 1980s
Interview DVDs of Japanese studies scholars conducted by Dr. George Akita, Professor Emeritus of the UHM History Department.
- Satsuma Collection 薩摩コレクション Nealy 800 photocopies and late Professor of Kagoshima University, Haraguchi Torao's 原口虎雄 (1914-1986) manuscripts of primary source materials on Satsuma/Shimazu domain. Prof. Haragushi's collections so-called "Dokosanbo (童虎山房)" were donated to the Amami Museum in 2006.
- Takazawa Collection 高沢文庫 Over 75,000 books and archival materials on Japan's social movement collection by Koji Takazawa
When are you open?
General collection is open during the Library hours. Special collections are open by appointment.