Where is your collection located?
The general materials are integrated into the East (Japanese language) and Asia (English & other western languages) Collections of Hamilton Library on the 3rd and 4th floors. Hamilton Library's floor plans are available here.
Please use the OneSearch Manoa Discovery Tool to identify the resources you need.
I heard about your special collections. What are they? How can I access?
The Japan Collection holds the following special collections housed in the Asia Special Collections room. All the items are not circulating. The Japan Collection staff retrieves materials prior to your visit. Please read the access policy to make an appointment in advance.
- Emery D. Middleton Collection over 600 of his black & white photos, along with several historical postcards and documents he collected. The digital images are mainly photos and postcards taken during his service as an officer in the Allied Occupation of Japan from 1945 to 1947.
- Hawaii Japanese Language School Textbooks Collection
Libguides Site ハワイ日本語学校教科書コレクション. Over 600 Japanese language school textbooks used in Hawaii
- John Roberts Clippings Clippings on a wide range of political and economic topics concerning Japan developed by a journalist
- Kaizawa Kabuki Manuscripts
(1) English translations of famous Kabuki plays during the Allied Occupation period. As part of the US censorship on Japanese publishing and performing arts, all Kakubi play manuscripts were translated into English for censorship.
(2) Interview transcripts between Stanley Kaizawa and Dr. James Brandon, UHM Theatre & Dance, conducted 2000-2003 for Dr. Brandon's Kabuki Censorship Research.
Mr. Stanley Kaizawa, a Japanese American Nisei from Hawaii, was a member of the censorship team and worked as a censor from 1945-1949 at GHQ Tokyo, Japan.
- Kaizawa Collection Photos & Memorabilia
Digitized photos with descriptions and memorabilia such as documents, military currencies, Kabuki tickets, etc. are now at the Kahulalike Digital Commons site.
- Kajiyama Collection 梶山文庫 Over 7,000 materials collected by the late novelist Toshiyuki Kajiyama 梶山季之
- Oliver Statler Collection オリバー・スタットラーコレクション
Location changed to the UHM Archives & Manuscripts Department. Oliver Statler's archival materials
- Oral History of Japanese Studies Scholars 1960s to 1980s
Interview DVDs of Japanese studies scholars conducted by Dr. George Akita, Professor Emeritus of the UHM History Department.
- Satsuma Collection 薩摩コレクション Nealy 800 photocopies and late Professor of Kagoshima University, Haraguchi Torao's 原口虎雄 (1914-1986) manuscripts of primary source materials on Satsuma/Shimazu domain. Prof. Haragushi's collections so-called "Dokosanbo (童虎山房)" were donated to the Amami Museum in 2006.
- Takazawa Collection 高沢文庫 Over 75,000 books and archival materials on Japan's social movement collection by Koji Takazawa
When are you open?
General collection is open during the Library hours. Special collections are open by appointment.