The Public Health Service (PHS) began as the Marine Hospital Service in the Treasury Department in 1798. It became PHS in 1912 and was transferred to the Federal Security Agency in 1939. It became part of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1953. PHS is led by the Surgeon General of the United States (not to be confused with the Army's Surgeon General), who directs the Commissioned Corps of health professionals who work to promote health and prevent disease.
Government Documents provides access to an extensive collection of PHS publications, including the following series:
We also have numerous reports of Surgeons General on a variety of health concerns, Congressional reports and hearings about public health matters, statistical reports on public health, and related materials.