Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Hawaiian and Pacific Collections reading room is now open to those affiliated with UH and EWC. Our hours are M-F, 10:00am-2:00pm. Requests for HP materials may be submitted through OneSearch.
Please see updates and how to contact us here.
The information provided on our webpages describe our collections and services generally, but may not reflect changes we are making as the situation evolves.
Community Borrowers and Visiting Researchers
Due to COVID-19, access to our physical collections is limited to UH and EWC library users only.
The Hawaiian and Pacific Collections are internationally recognized research collections of published and unpublished materials on the subject of Hawaiʻi and the Pacific that supports your research. All formats, languages, subjects, time periods and levels of treatment are collected to provide a comprehensive collection that can facilitate in-depth research on any Hawaiʻi or Pacific related topic. As a visiting researcher you can:
- Access any Hawaiian and Pacific Collection library-use only items in the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections reading room
- Access a curated selection of popular and heavily used books, journals, indexes and bibliographies on the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections reference shelves
- Access Hawaiian and Pacific Collection audio/visual materials (in-house viewing only)
- Access hundreds of microfilm reels and fiche pertaining to Hawaiʻi and the Pacific
- Access some UHM licensed electronic resources on the library's public computers
- Access digital and digitized collections of Hawaiʻi and Pacific materials in the library's digital collections and institutional repositories ScholarSpace and eVols
- Work with your home library to coordinate a loan of non-library use only materials through UHM library's Interlibrary Loan Lending Section
Librarians in the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections provides specialized research support to help you find materials on Hawaiʻi or Pacific related research you are working on. You can either visit us at the reference desk or schedule a research consultation with one of our librarians while the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections reading room is open. If you cannot make it to the library, you can always give us a call or send us an e-mail. if you are planning to visit us, please contact us before your visit to let us know about your research and to set up a research consultation with us.
Due to COVID-19, the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections reading room is closed.
Located on the fifth floor of Hamilton Library, the Hawaiian and Pacific Collections provides a unique research and study space with natural light and beautiful views of Waʻahila Ridge. The reading room is equipped with many tables, chairs, computers, printers, scanners, copy machines, and librarians at the reference desk who can help you with your research.
- Visit the Use Policies & Info page to learn more about the reading room
- Visit the Ask Us page to learn more about photocopying and scanning