Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Newspaper Databases
Search or browse through more than 10 million articles carried by the newspaper since its inaugural issue in 1874. Searchable texts of the articles after 1986 to present. Also includes the Daily Yomiuri (English), and Biographical database includes 26,000 contemporary persons in many fields who are linked to related news articles. (UH ID and password required) You can search keywords such as "沖縄返還" in Yomidas Rekishikan, and see how one of the newspapers in mainland Japan, Yomiuri Shimbun, reported the event.
National Diet Library of Japan has detailed instruction on how to use Yomidas Rekishikan (Japanese only). [Accessed April 4, 2019, HST]
Okinawa Newspapers Published Before WWII
IMPORTANT: As of December 2018, PRE-WWII newspaper databases are unavailable. We will notify when the technical issues are solved.
- Ryukyu Shimpo / 琉球新報 (JPN version)
- 1898-1918 and 1938-1940 are available on PC#3 at the Asia Collection Reading Room on the 4th floor of Hamilton Library (software is already installed)
- Vol. 1 (1898-1903), vol. 2 (1904-1908), vol. 3 (1909-1913), and vol. 4 (1914-1918)
- Kindai Okinawa Shinbun Shusei DVD-ban / 近代沖縄新聞集成DVD版 (JPN version)
- Access at PC #3 of the Asia Reading Room
- Library Use Only (available Mon-Fri, 10-4pm)
- Okinawa Nippo / 沖縄日報 covered from 1936 to 1940 (DVD version)
- Okinawa Mainichi Shinbun / 沖縄毎日新聞 covering from 1909-1914 (DVD version)
- Ryukyu Shinpo / 琉球新報 covering from 1898-1912
Okinawa Newspapers Published After WWII
- Okinawa Times (UHM Use Only) (JPN version)
- Ryukyu Shinpo (UHM Use Only) (JPN version)
Newspaper Articles on Okinawan-Americans in Hawai'i
[https://www.newspapers.com/ ; last accessed on August 31, 2018]
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 8,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month
On this site, you can search terms such as "Okinawa" or "Okinawan" and find the dates and names of the newspapers published in Hawai'i. However, actual newspaper articles are not available.
Hawaiian Collection in Hamilton Library has resources on Americans with Okinawan ancestry. Please visit make an appointment with Hawai'i Collection Librarians for a research consultation.
- Phone: (808) 956-8264