Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
(1) Helpful Services for Family Genealogy Research for Individuals
Okinawa Genealogical Society of Hawaii (OGSH) in Hawai‘i and Okinawa Prefectural Library launched a service to help individuals to find the roots of their ancestors.
Okinawa Genealogical Society of Hawaii (OGSH)
C/O Hawaii United Okinawa Association
94-587 Ukee Street
Waipahu, HI 96797 USA
Phone: 808-676-5400 (country code +1)
- Inquiries in Japanese (or English)
Okinawa Prefectural Library's First Generation Immigration Genealogical Reference Service
(2) General genealogy resources for Okinawans in Hawai'i
The Hawai'i Collection in Hamilton Library has a list of useful directories for those who conduct general genealogy research.
"GENEALOGY: Ethnic Hawaii Genealogy Resources: Okinawan": https://guides.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/c.php?g=105229&p=684160
The page above is created and maintained by the Hawai'i Collection Librarians. The list includes the important published directories related to Okinawans in Hawai'i.
Okinawan Family Crests
- Okinawan Family Crests / 沖縄の家紋 (JPN version; the linked page is a cache; crests are visible, but the site itself is no longer maintained as of November 2016.)
- This database is provided by Okinawa Joho Kyoku / Okinawa 情報局 and contains total 267 Okinawan family crests with explanation.
- Library Resources
- 宮里朝光監修、『沖縄家紋集』、Asia/East Reference (Library Use Only) Call number: CS3000.Z9 O583 1998 suppl
- 神山克明、『沖縄の氏と姓の由来』 Call Number East CS3000 .Z905 1989
- Okinawa-ken seishi kakei daijiten / 沖縄県姓氏家系大辞典 Call Number East CS3000 .K33 1989 v. 47
- 田口二州、『稿本琉球紋章譜 』Call Number Hamilton East CR2557.O35 T34 1978
- Ryukyu Genealogy / 琉球家譜 (JPN version)
- This database is a part of Okinawa rekishi bunken database / 沖縄歴史文献データベース, created by the University of Tsukuba Library. The base of this database is Okinawa no rekishi joho / 沖縄の歴史情報 was created by Prof. Hiroyuki Iwasaki （岩崎宏之教授）.
- It contains Shuri / 首里系, Naha, Tomari / 那覇・泊系, and Kumemura kafu / 久米村系家譜.
- Ryukyu Genealogy Database / 琉球家譜目録データベース (JPN version)
- This database is created by Takashi Uezato (上里 隆史), a researcher of Ryukyu history, and developed by Miki Watanabe (渡辺美李), a professor of the University of Tokyo. *If the page shows gibberish, please change the encoding to Shift_JIS.
- It contains Uji shū gai kafu / [氏集]外家譜.
- (Okinawa) Kennai Shi-Cho-Son-Aza shi kyōdō shōzō mokuroku / （沖縄）県内市町字史（誌）共同所蔵目録 (JPN only)
- A list of local history books housed in city, town, village offices in Okinawa. The linked page has a 61-page long PDF, compiled by Okinawa Prefectural Library.
- Naha shishi. Shiryōhen. / 那覇市史資料編 (JPN only)
- v. 1:pt. 5. Kafu shiryō, sōgō -- v.1:pt. 6. Kafu shiryō, Kumemura-kei (2 v.) -- v.1:pt. 7. Kafu shiryō, Shuri-kei -- v.1:pt. 8. Kafu shiryō, Naha Tomari-kei --, Hamilton East 3rd floor, Call Number: DS897.N345 N32
2017 Kafu Public Lecture by Masayuki Dana
2017 Ryukyu kafu public lecture by Professor Masayuki Dana
On August 31, 2017, Professor Masayuki Dana (田名真之), Director of Okinawa Prefectural Museum & Art Museum, delivered a public lecture on Ryukyuan genealogy in Hamilton Library. The lecture was delivered in Japanese. A simultaneous interpretation accompanied the lecture. Hamilton Library and the Center for Okinawan Studies at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa (COS) co-sponsored the event.
More information on the event is available at https://guides.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/ryukyu_kafu
The page above includes the video-recording of the lecture and transcripts (both in original Japanese and English interpretation)