Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finding Articles in Japanese Journals
Online Indexes for Japanese Journals
- Bibliographic Information Database of Okinawa Materials (BIDOM) / 沖縄関係文献情報データベース (JPN version)
This database is provided by the University of the Ryukyus Library and contains articles and books that are relevant to Ryukyu/Okinawa and are not included in CiNii.
- Okinawa Historical Materials Database / 沖縄歴史文献データベース (JPN version)
- Zasshi Kiji Sakuin Shusei Database / 皓星社雑誌記事索引集成データベース (UHM Only) (JPN versions)
This database consists of indexes of magazines and periodicals published from the Meiji Era to the Present.
- Web-Oya Bunko database 大宅壮一文庫雑誌記事索引検索ウェブ版 (UHM Only) (JPN version)
A citation index for the Ōya Sōichi Bunko popular magazine collections. It covers from Meiji period to the present. Currently the database contains over 4.5 million magazine articles, many of which are not indexed by other Japanese databases. 明治～現在まで
This is an online Japanese scholarly journal index. It includes NDL Zasshi kiji sakuin search. Many full text articles from Daigaku Kiyō (大学紀要） are available in PDF. Users are able to search holding institutions.
- NDL Japanese Periodicals Index / 雑誌記事索引 (JPN version)
Databases Including Full-Text Japanese Magazines/Journal Articles
- Asahi Shinbun Kikuzo II: 朝日新聞聞蔵II (UHM Only) (JPN version)
In addition to full-texts of the Asahi Newspaper from 1879 to present, includes Aera アエラ (weekly magazine), Shūkan Asahi 週刊朝日 from 1984 to present. Also, it includes Chiezō 知恵蔵 current issue.
- CiNii : Citation Information by NII / NII 論文情報ナビゲータ (ENG and JPN versions)
Japanese scholarly journal index. Abstracts are available. Includes NDL Zasshi kiji sakuin search. Many full text articles from Daigaku kiyō (大学紀要） are available in PDF. This will allow users to identify holding institutions. Can save your bibliographic information in three different formats.
- JAIRO / ジャイロ (ENG and JPN versions)
Japanese Institutional Repositories Online. It enables you to search all the institutional repositories sites in Japan. A lot of scholarly articles.
- J-STAGE (Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic journals) / J-ステージ (科学技術情報発信・流通総合システム) (ENG and JPN versions)
Other Helpful Sites
Finding Articles in American Journals
Online Database Through UHM Library
(Valid UHM username and password are required!)
- ABI/Inform Global
The premier business and management database providing extensive coverage of North America and the world.
- Academic Search Premier
Provides full text for 3,288 scholarly publications covering academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
- Digital Dissertations
Proquest digital dissertation database. Includes bibliographic citations for the doctoral and masters work of authors from 1,000 graduate schools and universities dating back to 1861. Citations for dissertations from 1980 forward include abstracts, and from 1997 on full-text is available for over 100,000 titles deposited with UMI.
Comprehensive archives of important scholarly journal literature.
Full text newspapers and magazines including the Japan Times, Daily Yomiuri, Daily Mainichi.
Othe Helpful Online Search Tools
- US Gov't report/article Search
Search to retrieve reports, articles, and citations by simultaneously searching across multiple databases of the US Government.
Chinese Studies Librarian
InterLibrary Loan (ILL)
Cannot find journals in UH that contain articles that you are looking for?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Request Form for articles and books unavailable at UH Mānoa
Note: You may be required to login each time you make a request.
The ILL staff will obtain items for you which are not owned or are unavailable in the UH Library system that will be used in support of your academic research, teaching, or studies. (Copyright restrictions may apply).
The UHM ILL Service:
- Accepts requests for books, journal articles, book chapters, dissertations, etc.
- Borrows items from other libraries outside of Hawaii on your behalf
- Provides ILLs free of charge, generally
- Please Note: We do not borrow UHM course textbooks for students.
Tips for ILL Services with Japan
As of Nov. 23, 2011, UHM Library and the University of the Ryukyus Library entered a special agreement to free receprocated ILL/DD transactions for items only available from each library holdings (borrowable materials only). This pilot project will end and be reviewed after five years.